Sunday, August 29, 2010

5 years later....

Here we are, one year later....


So I have been doing my best to avoid anything Katrina related today. I refuse to read any of the articles or watch any of it on tv. Still too raw for me. It amazes me how one year later, I still feel the exact same way I did watching the news that morning. That fear of wondering whether or not my brother was okay is still there even though I know he's fine. I remember the exact moment when my mom told me she didn't think she and my dad were going to go back. There aren't words to explain the way it felt driving through the town I grew up in and seeing people who traveled miles just to give out food to the people who had none. Or seeing familiar landmarks destroyed. Or hearing that you're closest friends lost everything they had.



My family was blessed. Our house and all of our belongings were fine. We all lost our jobs but those should be replaceable right? In the grand scheme of things, we did pretty darn good. But the lack of work would mean we would have to move. 25 years of my life yanked right out from under me and would never ever be the same. Imagine having to pack up and leave everything you've ever known in a matter of days. It amazes me that in this horrible tragedy where I didn't lose a thing, I lost everything.



Just goes to show you how every single person was affected in some way. To all those who lost their homes or a family member or a pet, my heart truly goes out to you. To those whose belongings and loved ones were fine but you lost the only life you knew, you are not alone.


2 comments:

kathryn said...

Oh God, sweetie....I had no idea. I'm so very sorry. It's probably just as well that you didn't watch the news...it was heartbreaking to remember the horror people lived through. The news tends to focus on the tragedy much moreso than the hope for the future...unfortunately, I guess the bad stuff is what sells better ad space.
I'm thinking of you and your family.

Alicia said...

Wow, I keep trying to put into words how I feel about this post but I have none. My heart goes out to you and your family.