Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Heavy hearted...

Heavy hearted...
I've been staring at this empty screen trying to find words that make sense. Words that express the shock and heaviness I'm feeling. I very rarely venture into politics discussions. I've witnessed very few that don't end in people angry and yelling at each other because someone does not agree with their point of view. This is why there are parties. Because not everyone believes the same things. It doesn't necessarily mean one is right and one is wrong. Just makes us each different, and we should all respect that. If I like apples, but you like oranges, are you going to rip my head off because of it? No. I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion and admire the people who got out and voted to support it. However, this election has me stunned.

The main issue in this election that was most important to me is abortion. I am 100% against any and all forms of it, and I will openly admit that to anyone who asks. I, in NO WAY, judge anyone who has had one. I know that it was not an easy decision for any woman who has chosen it, and would not dare say what I would do in a similar situation. I understand where a person can say it's not the governments role to dictate what a woman can do with her own body. Okay, I can stand behind that argument. However, we're not talking about tattoos or piercings or boob jobs. We're talking about a baby. It's a living being. Why is it not okay for a government to tell a woman what to do with her body, but it's okay for the woman to dictate what to do with a baby's body? This absolutely breaks my heart. I understand traumatic situations can happen, but to hear our new president-elect say that if a woman "makes a mistake", why should she be "punished" with a baby?!?! I'm sorry, but I thought it was pretty common knowledge that sex can equal baby. Most people know that going into it and are willing to take that risk.

It is also my understanding that this man wants to overturn a ruling that makes partial birth abortion illegal. This makes me nauseous. Does everyone understand exactly what partial birth abortion is? It means the doctor can pull the baby's entire body out feet first, but as long as the child's head is still inside the mother, the pregnancy can be terminated. Meaning this baby's beating heart is a part of this world, yet it can still be killed. I'll leave it up to Google to explain to you how exactly they terminate that little baby. I guarantee you it's disgusting. What the heck is wrong with someone who can say this is ok? Push one more time and give that baby to someone who wants it.

I understand this is not a major issue for some people. Abortion is low on the list behind economy and healthcare. That's your prerogative, and I will respect that. But that absolutely terrifies me. What has happened to this world when people are more interested in their 401(k)'s than what crimes are being committed against a newborn's beating heart? When did this world become so desensitized? Every single other issue aside, the fact that a man who supports a child who has survived such horrifc acts being denied medical help and left alone to die, can be elected to run this country? That absolutely terrifies me to my core. I don't understand how we got to this place.

I sat in a meeting this morning at work and listened to some of my co-workers hash it out about who should've done what and who said this and why didn't he do that. It was all lies. Grown men lying and conniving and blaming one another for things they did themselves just so the finger doesn't point back to them. For what reason? Be a man and say yes, I said that, here's why. Yes, I did that and here's why. What happened to honesty? What happened to integrity? I walked out of that office feeling more hopeless than I have in a long time.

It seems people focus on the "big issues" so much that they don't see how much the little things are starting to wear away at us. Listen to the song "Slow Fade" by Casting Crowns. I'm not saying I'm perfect, and that I do everything right. I have done some things that I absolutely swore I would never do, yet I allowed myself to slowly let my guard down. To slowly inch closer to disaster. Eventually, those little, baby steps will lead you right off a cliff. My heart breaks for where things are headed, and I'm scared to see where this road is leading, but I will keep my faith in the One who wrote the story. As long as we keep looking up, we'll be ok. He's the only one who'll be able to offer true "hope" and "change."

No comments: